Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dad Shoots the Car.

Some guys fish, some guys golf, some guys shoot guns until they're exhausted, and then practice their medical skills. This weekend past I got together with a dozen joes who're either former special ops or current law enforcement. We spent about 20 hours running through shoot/no-shoot scenarios, stress shoots, vehicle movements, and various other drills.


A graceful exit.

As luck would have it, I was chosen to play medic for ALL of the drills. You should have seen this guys eyes when I popped him with a 14g cath. No, I don't have any gloves on. Bad bad bad, but I was very careful to get no fluids on me.

Look at the size of that catheter!!

"Yeah bro, that'll probably buff out..."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about your cell meetings? I think the cath.. is not to stimulating ouch! I cringe at the thought. I am glad its not me pract-ice-ing wound and patch. I'd rather be fishing.

Unknown said...

Where do you get to do this?

John said...

I have a couple of friends who're ex-secret squirrel types. We shoot regularly at a piece of property one of them owns.

Unknown said...

*jealous*

Haha. That's neat.

I went to Lebanon Indiana last summer for a 3-day defensive pistol class. Louis Awerbuck was the instructor - great time. I'm hoping to make it to his advanced class this summer. Ammo's ridiculous right now though and you burn through a lot of it in three days.

John said...

Yeah, ammo prices are only going to get worse. I shoot thousands of rounds per year. Buy it now while you can still find it.

I do most of my training with Tactical Response (www.tacticalresponse.com)

Unknown said...

Would you be interested in going to an Appleseed event this year?

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I went last year for the first time - basic rifleman skills, 400 yd shots. I didn't score expert, but hope to this time.

I'm thinking about going to the Auburn event (May 15) or perhaps the Wabash one (October).