Sunday, November 2, 2008

Camping Adventures

Johns side of the story:

Another necropost, but one we've been meaning to get to for quite sometime. In late September the family fled the confines of the city to bask in the splendor of nature... at a campground in Ohio... 50 feet from public showers and latrines... with 500 other campers... yay.

What was originally planned as peaceful camp-out in quiet lakeside setttings, immediately deteriorated into madness and mayhem as half of Ohio crammed into our tiny park. Dogs were barking at 530 in the morning, music blared indiscriminately from a dozen sources blending into an incoherent stream of noise, and the shower house became a refuge for 30 nameless pre-teens fighting some sort of war with water-guns. I forget the name of the park itself, because I will forever know it as "Sardine City."

All that said, we somehow managed to have a good time (easy to do when you're around good folks, haha). We fellowshipped, cooked food in old-fashioned dutch ovens, and kayaked about the lake just enjoying the beautiful weather. The family enjoyed our spacious, 12x12, Alakanak tent, which became the envy of a few RV'ers in our midst. I can't count how many tours we gave, and at one point, I was sure someone was going to wind up sleeping in our tent with us. I still need to make a barrel stove for it, and once that happens the tent will be good to go for winter use.

No comments: