Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gracelyn's 5th Birthday Party!

Gracelyn turned a big 5 years old this October, so we threw her a big party reserved for such occasions! She loves horses and ponies and has a HUGE (thanks to Birthday and Christmas prizes) My Little Pony toy collection....so naturally she chose that theme for the party.

Gracelyn posing while doing her craft .

After doing the cake for Moraih's big 5 year party last year, I was determined NOT to go through that kind of stress again! LOL! After all it was a huge undertaking for someone who's never attempted such a thing even if it did turn out well.

Moriah's Castle cake last year .

But seeing as stress is such a good and companionable acquaintance, I found myself once again in the midst of yet another cake making endeavour! Fortunately, I learned a thing or two when making Moriah's cake that helped to save me from going completely wacky! =) The making of this cake went much better...I only stressed myself out trying to make a few hundred gum paste flowers while taking care of a sick baby and holding down the fort as John was gone for those couple of flower making days! Lucky him!


Gracelyn's My Little Pony cake

I based the cake off a picture I found online...though I revised it quite a bit. It turned out very pretty. Although, I was rather annoyed to discover that I had made, oh, about a days worth of flowers too many!! Ahhhhggg! More like a days worth of needless stress for company! GRRRRR! Oh well, that's my luck!


Close up of MLPonies & gum paste flowers

We had a good time at the party. I brought the cake out first thing...a lesson learned from Moriah's party. It's very painful to see something that took you hours to create be admired for a mere 5 mins. before devoured! So I made sure it was admired for at least an hour! Ha!


Close up of MLPonies and gum paste flowers

Gracie's reaction was one of total shock. Still not sure what exactly was going through her mind...she said she liked it, but I am wondering if she was afraid we might be eating her ponies seeing as they were on the cake!

The Birthday gang minus Grandparents!

The children, ten in all, had a lot of fun doing a craft, playing a few games and eating cake and goodies. Grace of course had fun opening her gifts! I now can take a huge breather seeing as I have 4.5 year before the next big 5th birthday party!!! Whew! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the kids had a great time. I know they enjoyed finding lots of ponies hid out in the church play yard. Laura, you did a fantastic job on both birthday cakes! I know the girls will remember their cakes and parties when they grow up just as you still remember your 5th b-day party.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Yes, I'm going to leave alot of comments...isn't that nice of me...Thoses cakes are totally awesome...WOW!!! Happy Birthday (Belated) Gracelyn! Godspeed, Tammy L. Meihls