Sunday, January 4, 2009

Two Legs Are Better Than None

Two weeks ago I underwent a surgical procedure to relieve the symptoms of compartment syndrome in my lower legs. Without going into all of the anatomy and physiology of the problem it can be simply described as compressed nerves, resulting in great pain and discomfort. What happens is that as the muscles are exercised and "pumped up" with blood they bulge out a'la Incredible Hulk (Laura tells me that Sisters in the Church think I'm scary, but at least I'm not green and angry). With compartment syndrome, the fascia surrounding the muscle fails to allow the muscle to properly expand, thereby compressing the nerves next to the bone. The end result in my case was a good deal of pain and floppy feet until I rested.


I've had the problem for years, and just dealt with it. Many doctors told me it was just shin splints or that I'd grow out of it. The problem finally got bad enough that I couldn't go on a brisk walk with the kids without a great amount of pain, let alone running for exercise.

So after a fasting for 16 hours I reported to the hospital for surgery. Delay after delay followed and I ended up going into surgery about 4 hours later than planned. Originally I was only going to have one leg done at a time, but I talked the doctor into operating on both legs, just to get it over with. My poor nurse couldn't get an IV in me and ended up sticking me several times before another nurse was able to get a line going. Ouch. They then shaved my legs from the knee down, which was really wierd... and now it's really itchy. After the surgery I woke up freezing to death in the recovery room, feeling pretty nauseated. I don't do too good with the meds they used to put me under... but a warm blanket and 2 cans of coke were a little slice of heaven. Laura took me to get some food, where I proceeded to lean across her to scream my order into the little box at the Wendy's drive-thru. At 1230 at night. Laura tells me I scared her half to death, but I don't really remember anything. I also made several phonecalls while under the influence that I don't remember. That's kind of wierd.
Anyhow, the stitches were removed yesterday and now I have two lovely little 5 inch scars running down my shins. I'll see if I can get Laura to post up a picture to show them off. The doctor says he is very impressed with my progress and I'm a month ahead of most patients who have this done.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure thankful all went well and you're healing nicely. As for the pics of the shaved legs and scars ... no comment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Bro. John,
I'm so glad the surgery went well. Don't you let Laura tell you we all think you are TOO scary...just nice manly scary. LOL Seriously, your family is a blessing and an example to me. Godspeed, Tammy L. Meihls

Anonymous said...

Too graphic for my queasy stomach to see and to read! But I am thankful that all went well and you're on the mend.